Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Keepin' up and makin' adjustments

For all you homeschooling mamas out there...
do you ever have those moments you wonder if it is worth it?
do ya ever wonder if you are making a difference?
dost thou feel feel tired?
I Do.
Sometimes I have those moments of "Well, I am not making money, and I don't feel like I am changing the world." Does that sound familiar? How do I get that voice of discouragement out of my mind? "You're not a great teacher. Your kids would be better off in a regular school, and you in the workforce." I know, it sounds pathetic.
Faith's education is going well. She loves to read, and she is actually about two weeks ahead in most of her subjects. Her passion for books is growing, which is funny, cause she's always loved books. How much more fun now that she can read them! Scary thing is that she reads signs and things that aren't really what I am ready for her to read. The other day, we were in Wal-Mart and she spotted a sign for Beer and Wine... that made an interesting conversation while I was shopping. It is rather exciting to me to know that I taught her how to read, write, count, add, subtract, about health, science, social studies, art, and many other things important for little six year olds to learn... of course, I used other supplimentary teaching tools to help, and she has a piano teacher. Yet, sometimes my mind wonders off to other worlds, as if the grass is greener in the secular world. I just sometimes feel so unimportant. Just a mom... as if that is not important. But, that is what the world and culture can cause you to think. I guess I am in need of a "you can do it" boost of encouragement. Is there an organization designated to encouraging home-school mamas? Cause I would sure like to know about it?

3 comments:

Raylin said...

Wow! You sound a lot like someone else I know... myself! :) I have 5 kiddos, ages 7,6,4,2, and 10 months. I homeschool the oldest 2, using Abeka. It can get very tiring to homeschool. :) Some days I feel like I am "dragging" them through the day... I just remind myself what they would be exposed to if they were going to school. There are really no options we like here for a christian school, so they would be going to a public school if we sent them anywhere. I myself went to public school for all of my education, and I know what they would be learning right now: sex ed, evolution, tolerance for everyone and everything (except christianity), liberal social ideas, the list goes on and on. Be encouraged to know that your girls are learning sound Christian principles that they will carry with them through their whole life, that will shape how they view the world and what they do with their lives. That in itself is priceless. Also, remember that the grass isn't greener in the "secular world"... many woman who work long to be at home with their children. God is with you in the little, "mundane" moments... and your children will rise up and call you blessed... eventually. :) Keep your chin up!

Sarah Cook said...

Oh, thank you. That is a good reminder. Thanks. It is good to know I am not alone. It is worth it, but the devil likes to mess with my mind.

Liz said...

Hey, Sarah! I'm sorry about the down days... you sure aren't the only one. You might just need to schedule in some days off - or take a couple spontaneously. The break would be good for you and the kids both probably. Anyway, hang in there! Hugs from Oklahoma!