Thursday, February 26, 2009

Little things are sooo fun...

I have found that little things make my children smile... like playing at the park where we live, having supper outside on the picnic table, and learning the hand game of... "Here's the church, here's the steeple, open the door, and here's all the people" (They got a kick out of the last item for some reason... I think they would have me do that over and over half the day if I let them!) We got to do each of these things yesterday, and Faith also started with her pre-school work again... since we took time off for the move. I have also started teaching "character lessons," which I hope to start making an impact on them very soon. They beg to help cook, wash dishes, etc., but we still don't care for picking up those toys. Faith helped wash dishes yesterday, but I made the mistake of leaving the water running with her at the sink, as if she would turn it off when it was full... no, she didn't, but when the water was running all over the sink, she yelled for me... I was vacuuming, and not paying attention to the sink... it was my fault, because I didn't teach her to turn it off if she sees it too high.
A couple of my rooms are still a mess from the move (this is what can happen when one down-sizes quickly, and still has regular chores to do, etc.) Any ladies I know out there who would like to help me get caught up? HA... now, THAT is what I call being desparate! I have a hard time functioning right when my house is messy!
Well, I do need to get going... need to cook some lunch and get regular house chores going and start the girls' classes! I love how these character lessons even teach table manners and thoughtfulness. The other day, I complimented Faithy when she thoughtfully brought Daddy a drink without being asked... it was it a little container with a lid, and Ron didn't really want it at the time, but it was VERY thoughtful of her. I am trying to teach them to do things without being asked. Telling the truth has been a tough one for my oldest, and she is learning that the punishment is greater if she tells a lie. The middle's issue is repeating her desires over and over and crying/screaming/ whining, but I have cracked down on that, too. The rule is: ask once, if Mommy says "no," don't keep asking, and certainly don't go ask Daddy, or vice versa... or the consequences will not be fun. She'll get it! Hope's issue is... ummm... feed me, feed me, feed me! She is a chunk, and I probably overfeed my children (and, myself)... so, that is another area to work on this year. Oh, and another pet-peeve (sp?) is children who say "yuck" about their food... that is sooo rude, and I have been teaching my children that, too. They might think that broccoli is yuck, but it sure is good for them! Especially don't want to hear my children say that to someone else who has prepared a meal for them!!! I have heard older kids say stuff like that and refuse to eat what has been prepared, and it really bothers me... I had that happen at one of my teen girls sleepovers, and I had spent lots of time making a fancy speghetti dinner for them (glass goblets and all!), and almost came unglued when one new young person pointed at each item made and said, "I don't like that, I don't like that...". I preached her a quick sermon, and, I think she ate the baked speghetti, maybe even the salad, etc. Okay, enough of that!
My children are NOT perfect, so I can't say I have it all together... but we are learning.
Oh, another thing, does anyone know of a Christian piano and/or violin teacher locally that is good with children and charges reasonable rates? My piano needs tuned, and I would love to have an in-home teacher, but it doesn't have to be in-home. I have shopped around a little, but still not sure I have found what I am looking for.
First day today for Ron without radiation... I am happy for him... he was getting quite burnt.
He ate a pizza roll last night that apparently had some chicken or turkey meat in it... this made for a very sick hubby during church time, but he made it! If you know us well, you know that Ron is HIGHLY allergic to poultry. I had bought a bag of plain cheese rolls for him, but he had gotten hold of one of the girls' pizza rolls. He took anti-hystimines and some pain reliever, and that helped. Last time this type of thing happened, I think I ran to my neighbor's house for some Benadryl, because I couldn't find any in my cabinet. I am usually VERY cautious about reading the back of packages. So, if you have us over for a meal, and he asks about your food, it is not because he is being rude, it is because he must.
That is life here at the cook house.
You may e-mail me at sarahgbs@yahoo.com about the piano lessons is you know of someone who is a good instructor. Better go!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,
I find that also with my chidren. It is the things that are seemingly silly that make them smile, laugh, and content. These things usually involve just taking time to spend with them one on one! These are the moments of motherhood that also bring me precious memories and joy as well. I hope that you have a good weekend.

Rebecca said...

I know what you mean about the complaining about the meal. We've been recently having real issues with this with my kids. I made a new rule--anyone who complains about the food has to go and sit in their room until everyone else is done eating, and then they get to eat. It only took a couple times of that for him to develop a more thankful attitude. I know I sound mean, but with 3 kids constantly complaining about everything I fixed, there was only so much I could handle!! :-)