Thursday, October 1, 2009

He's admitted!

You may write to him... remember not to send him live flowers as he cannot have them.

Ronald S. Cook Room 356a
OSUCCC-James Cancer Hospital
300 W 10th Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43210

He doesn't have a cool view from his room like last time, but his doctor might switch him to the room he had before if it opens up and if he wants it again. The room he has now is nice and spacey.
He got his central line placed Wednesday, and on Thursday morning, he is to start the chemo.
The doctor says everything looks in his favor. He is very strong, is considered in the state of remission right now, is young, and all of his tests evaluating his lung, kidney, and heart functions came back good, and his bone marrow test came back negative. This makes this transplant look very favorable in the doctor's eyes as a possibility for cure without much complications. Of course, there are no guarantees, and anything could go wrong... and, there are side effects and possibilities of damages from this, but they feel it is the best thing to do. I guess the doc told Ron he was either one of or the strongest person he has seen do this thing, or something like that.... might have something to do with Ron's desire to do push-ups and exercise while on chemo, and that he is such a big guy. If you just looked at him, you would likely not ever guess he even had cancer... except I see it... I see how the chemo and disease has made his eyes look different... darker underneath.
I hope that he never has any of the long term risks of the treatments he is about to go through, like cataracts, lung and heart problems, GVH disease, or leukemia. That wouldn't be fun.
Tonight is my first night here at our little home with him in the hospital. The children are sleeping and I am thinking about my plans for the next day... clean the house, teach the children, go out for a while, clean out the van, and call Ron a lot. I imagine the next day will be similar, but Saturday, I plan to see my man, and I might even let the girls see him too. The only way that can happen is if he is well enough to come out to the family waiting area with his mask on and his buddy (the IV pole) being pulled along side him. The children are not allowed to visit him on the unit.
Wow! My church treated me royally Wednesday night! One family bought us something to eat after church. People were ready to help load and unload the children from the vehicle. One family gave us a gas card, and then a group of people took up an offering! They helped me with my children during church, too! Special thanks to the Sowers family for watching my children Tuesday evening through Wednesday evening so I could take Ron to the hospital early Wednesday morning and get him set up. Thanks to the Adams family for dinner.
In case you don't know, all of the chemo and blood products he will be receiving will go through the central line that was placed today... that is also how they give him the transplant... they put those new cells through that line. The transplant is kind-of non-climatic. No big surgery or anything... just some cells going through a tube that leads into his heart area. But, those cells are what are to rescue him. When his immune system dies, they take over the house... well, actually, the doc said really only one of those umbilical cords' cells will triumph over his body in the end, but they cannot predict right now which will win in this double umbilical cord stem-cell transplant. Let the fight for life begin!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All my prayers and best wishes to you Ron and the girls .God has a plan for you all ,trust him and all will be ok if you find any spare time could you offer .me some advice on disciplining kids ,I am lost and could use some advice my email is laurenabib@gmail.com .thanks sarah all my prayers.

Missy said...

Praying for you, Sarah!

Linda Leppla said...

Want you and Ron to know that the Voice of Victory BMC is praying and have been praying for Ron.