Saturday, October 10, 2009

still not to the bottom

His WBC count is at 0.7 this morning, so it still has not hit the rock bottom... it is supposed to go down to like 0.1, so the toughest part is still coming. He still doesn't need any platelet or RBC transfusions... they are low, but not to where they are ready to give him blood products.
He is still eating tomato soup, at least, and crackers, and he is drinking water and orange Gatorade, and a little bit of fruit. Not much else seems to sound good to him. At least he is eating, and so far no mouth sores or fevers or vomiting! Very good start, I should say!
I had a rough sleep here last night, because someone coded on this floor in the other pod or whatever you call it. I checked on Ron and he was sleeping like a brick. I called his name and got up to touch him to be sure he was okay (like a mommy does to a new-born baby), and the guy just kept sleeping. I think it was the Fenagren (sp?). When there is a code blue, I think the whole hospital is put on alert... it is loudly announced over the intercom... even if it was in the Ross Heart Hospital, which there was one there last night too, right after the one on the 3rd floor of the James Cancer Hospital... it was making me a nervous wreck, but they have to do that so wherever the needed staff might be, they will know they need to get going.
Unless something comes up, I might not get to spend another night with Ron until Thursday next week, but I do plan to make frequent trips up here for visits. I plan to bring the girls once or twice up here next week to see their daddy, they didn't get to see him at all this week.
The children are doing well, and you would not believe the questions Faith is asking me. One example is: "Mommy, does God love sinners that are in Hell?" Other questions have been equally if not more complicated than that! Her wheels are really turning these days! Sometimes I just tell her we'll have to ask Daddy, because I don't know some of the answers to her questions. She has become quite huggy, too. She is will just come up to me and squeeze me tight, and say omething like, "I just love you soooooo much. I love daddy, too. And, I love Jesus." Awww! I love her, too!
Charity is still stuck to her gum addiction... I need to break that before she gets a cavity. She is professional at whining, and I cannot stand whining! She is learning alot lately, and she is very good at memorizing. She is a character and can crack me up sometimes! I bought the girl a "Barrel of Monkeys" the other day, and they had fun learning to play that game... they cheat some though... their coordination isn't quite good enough, it seems to play it without using both hands to connect those monkeys... we'll get it.
Hope is funny. We were watching a video together about a little kitten and a puppy, and the kitten was playing with a crab and the crab grabbed the kitten's nose, and Hope was horrified. She was like "nooo!" and started crying a fearful cry. You have to understand that Hope doesn't talk a whole lot yet, and so sometimes I don't realize how much she understands about her surroundings, so I was taken by surprise when she understood that the kitten was getting hurt. She is starting to talk more now, though. When she potties in her diaper, and I change it, you might hear her say, "Ewww, guck!" or when I am done, she kindly says "kank oo" (thank you). Dog is "gog" and I think she calls both Faithy and Charity "tee-tee" unless you purposely ask her to say "Faith", then she might say some like "fate." Maybe it has something to do with her being the youngest child that I haven't spent more time teaching her how to talk... I know, that is a bad mommy, I really ought to start reading to her picture books, after all, in a couple of months, she will be two, and I would like her to get caught up a little. When Ron gets out of the hospital, I would like to get her started with potty training. Believe it or not, Faith takes off Hope's diaper sometimes and sits her on the toilet... I think I like that! If my 5 year old wants to help potty-train the baby, more power to her! I could use the extra hands... she is actually able to help me out in alot of ways! She helps with housecleaning, changing wet diapers, and making sure the bathroom door stays shut (so baby doesn't play in commode). She is also very good at making messes, too.
I made them homemade play-dough the other day, and they really liked that, but Hope threw a bunch on the floor... which wouldn't be such a big deal, except my kitchen floor is carpeted... maybe someday I will change that... it is pretty new carpet, but, with small children, it is not the most convenient thing. I would like to get into playing more games with them on a regular basis, which gives me an idea for Christmas presents. They are getting to the age (well, at least the two older ones) that I think they would really enjoy that fun, bonding time.
I have been taking turns some nights with sleeping with the girls... they really like it when it is their turn to sleep in Mommy's bed... although Hope is so wiggly and squirmy that the last time I allowed her to sleep with me, I could hardly sleep... the other two usually do very well. We'll have to stop this ritual probably once Ron gets home, but I figured it might be helpful to the children at this time when their little worlds are different, to let them know I want them around and that I love them. And, I guess it also helps me not to feel so lonely, too... they are like little teddy bears.
Well, that is enough of that... there is an update on our family... the good, funny, sad, and scary.
We press on!

No comments: