Tuesday, February 9, 2010

CROUP STRIKES AGAIN AT THE COOK HOUSE

If you'll remember back to the end of October 2007, when I was supposed to be on "bed rest," couldn't go to Youth Challenge, Ron was secretly getting checked out for some symptoms that were not cool, and my children both got croup! It was like I was living in a nightmare! I just knew Ron had some terrible disease, and there was no way I could rest with 2 very sick children. Croup is a very frightening sounding cough with a loud sound when they breathe in, that is worst while child is trying to sleep... they are frightened by their struggle to breath. I remember those breathing treatments and having a child sleeping in my room so I could be there if they had a "fit." Well, now it is not Faith or Charity, and I hope they stay this well! Poor little Hope is having a tough time with it, though. She had about 3 fits in the night last night, and it was so sad. I tried the freezer thing, but she just coughed all over everything. I tried several things, but on the last fit, I finally wrapped her up and took her outside, like recommended, but not for long... maybe only 2 minutes. It worked, I guess, cause her coughing stopped. The hard part is when she gets frightened and getting upset just makes it worse. They say it is like a cold, but I think it is horrible. I was hoping noone would be looking outside through the snow in the middle of the night and would see me standing on my porch with a toddler in a blanket... they might think I was insane... but, that is actually what the doctor info page says to do when the child has trouble breathing, and it works... just make sure the child is warmly wrapped up. I actually wore my hubby's shoes outside... not sure how I managed wearing a size 15 men's shoes, but I was in a hurry.
Pray for the little one tonight, would you? Ron, Hope, and I all had a rough night due to her croup... we could use a good night's sleep tonight.

2 comments:

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Sure hope she gets better. I remember when we had the hooping cough as children. It is so scary. I'll be praying for you!!

Belle said...

Well, I am a little behind the times, but it amused me reading your post. Over-sized shoes out in the snow with toddler. Last fall I did that with Rebekah, so I didn't have snow, but she was all bundled up and I was freezing, because I wanted to hurry out there, so she wouldn't cough so hard and throw up.

So...a month later I hope she is better. Love ya Linda