Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I love my husband so

Last night my man and I had a date... alone!!! It was so special. We went out to eat ALONE... that felt weird. We went fishing together... didn't catch any fish, but the scenery was beautiful, and my husband is waaaaay tooooo cute wearing his straw hat... wish we could do it more often. God has been good to us.
When I fell in love with Jesus 20 years ago, I didn't know the twist and turns life would bring. As I grew through the teenage years, my relationship deepened with Christ. I would spend MUCH time reading my Bible... I loved it. Though I went to a public school and was challenged for my faith, I just knew I wanted Jesus more than anything. I was ignorant about alot of Scriptural teachings back then, but I was hungry for more. I used to picture Jesus holding my hand at night, or in a big rocking chair rocking me and comforting me... I had child-like faith. I felt God calling me into missions work and I developed a strong desire to go to a college I had heard about... God's Bible School. I started studying the Word, and decided to make some big changes about my dress and appearance. No one made me do it... I wanted all God had... I even felt convicted on things that hardly any other teenager I knew felt convicted on. I wanted everyone to know the joy that I knew in Christ.
This passion pulled me through Bible college. Then after the nursing school thing fell through, I soon found myself into missions work. Then, my dream of a man who was called into missions work came and swept me off my feet, and we landed back in Dayton, Ohio, where we did many odd and ends of ministry. Ron has taught me alot. He is like the best daddy a little girl could ask for, and so my girls have it made. Marriage was hard, at first, and it still can be. But, Ron has taught me wonderful things about consistency in devotions and prayer life. He is a leader type. Surrendering and obedience took a new form that I had not known before. We have been dreamers together... longing for the day that we could be in full-time ministry together. Surrendering your dreams is tough... trusting is tough... obeying when the clouds are all around is tough... when cancer knocks at your door, you had better have your feet anchored to the Rock, or you are likely going to be knocked off your feet. We have staggered at the terribleness (is that a word?) of the pain. But, I can't help but wonder... is this preparing us for something bigger than ourselves? I want to be able to trust that everything will be okay. That someday, I will stop crying, hurting, and trying to figure life out. That my emotions will stop swaying... or, maybe that is just because I am a woman... hmmm... in that case, I might just always be a bit emotional.
I woke up being hammered this morning by thoughts of failure... why couldn't we continue being youth pastors, why did so many of the teens backslide the last couple of years, and am I to blame? Nothing like waking up to Satan tormenting you. We are not really the youth pastors anymore, haven't been able to do it really for a couple of years d/t Ron's health, and I miss it, but I am having to let go. We are working with children now.... and, they sure are funny little people! Challenging sometimes, but I can remember when I was a child, and still remember some of my earliest years in church. "Be Careful Little Eyes" "Jesus Loves Me" "Jesus Loves the Little Children" "Zaccheus Was A Wee Little Man" I still remember those songs from my VERY early childhood. I hope to create wonderful, life-long lasting memories in the children of Christ's love for them.
Ron and I still dream...
I hope we always do.
Our dreams are what pulled us together.
Our love will keep us together.
I am so glad God gave me Ron, and for the precious time we spent yesterday on our date... which we went to a place we had dated at before we were married... bringing back such memories that I felt like crying... so fun!
Too bad I forgot my camera...
Then, as we left, a storm was hanging over us, and the wind was blowing... go figure! Glad that God let it stay away until our date was over!

No comments: