Friday, March 6, 2009

How do I feel about cancer?

Well, I have lost lots of family and loved ones to the cruel disease. When I heard about Brother Barr passing away the other day, my heart broke. When Ron was in the heart of his chemo treatments, I thought often of Brother Barr... because of Ron's dark, sunken eyes... Brother Barr was an inspiration and seemed to just keeping marching on. My heart goes out to his wife... I still remember their engagement night at GBS. May God be with her and Brother Barr's children and family in a special way.
It is a mean disease... some people get cured, and some don't. Cancer took my grandma before I was even born, took most of Ron's grandparents, too. Took the very young man that prayed with my dad the night he got saved... It might have been Hodgkin's, too, not sure. Took two of my uncles in the past couple of years. Nearly took my grandpa. Took my good friend, Gloria Jean McGinnis' husband, Coy, a couple of years ago.
I am starting to see life in a new way... not that we are really even dying if we are in Christ, but that we are just continuing our lives in another place... not quite in the same way as we do here, I know. The good news is that Ron's grandma got saved just a few days before she passed away. It seems my uncles DID THE SAME THING! My mom's mom was a Christian. And, so, what seemed to be a bad thing, turned out fine... I will see/meet them again in Heaven!
I have a deeper love for Ron than ever... and, I really want to keep him here... I want to be able to hold him, cook for him, make him laugh, I just love my man.
His cancer was almost gone in the last PET, so we are hoping it will be completely gone the next. He doesn't want another PET for 3 months, so that might be what we are going to do. The radiation can continue to work for quite a while, so it might be the best thing to see what will happen after waiting a while. It is possible that he could be cured after this... I REALLY HOPE SO!
I think our family may go on a little vacation in a few weeks... I was hoping to go to another state, but, we probably will go back to the place we went on our honeymoon. I am starting to look forward to that! It is has nice cabins, a lake, a playground, etc... the girls will love it... the two older girls have been there before.
Ron looks great now... his eyes are not dark, and his blue eyes are gorgious again. He looks healthy and strong... he works, does ministry, spends time with his family, exercises, and seems to be back to normal! He hasn't had chemo since the big stem-cell transplant, he just had his 17 treatments of radiation, which has tweaked with his counts some, but he did very well!

Well, I have probably said too much already about Ron, so I am going to completely change the subject!
After much frustration in not being able to hire someone for a couple of hours one day this week, I decided to get very serious about the pile situation in my room. I got up about 5 yesterday, took Ron to work, got a couple of trash bags and starting throwing stuff away and getting rid of stuff... after hours of doing this, it looked like I had only made a little dent. Then, I got my growing piles of laundry (dryer has serious issues), and loaded it up and last night I went to a laundry mat for a fast catch up. Was very happy about this, even if it did cost alot of money (did I mention how I love the smell of Tide and Downy... it cheers my heart... really!). I drank lots of coffee, and did not get into bed until very late at night! Got a bit of heart-burn from the ordeal, but one has got to do what they must... I have been living in this mobile home for about a month, and I still have stuff to put away! You see, I used to have a basement and a very large storage room and many storage cabinets... that is all gone now... I have a shed, but once you get the lawn mower, bikes, double stroller, Christmas decor, and tools in it, there just isn't room for other storage, so it must go away, either by trash or giving away or selling... that is why I have the pile by my dresser in my room that needs gone through! That pile looks like a personal mountain to me and I take offense in having the situation! I declare war on that pile! PILE, YOU ARE MINE... YOU WILL BE DEFEATED, HEARTBURN OR NOT, EVEN IF I HAVE TO GET UP AT RIDICULOUS HOURS OF THE MORNING! YOU HEAR ME... YOU ARE GOING DOWN!

1 comment:

Amanda Shough said...

Sarah, you are such an inspiration to me. I love you! I will pray for you and your pile war...but pray for me and mine. I have so many clean clothes to put away but we need a new dresser. I hope to see you soon. `