Thursday, March 19, 2009

Ultrasound...

If that didn't get your attention, I am not sure what would!
No, this is not the fun little baby ultrasound... sorry!
I had a follow-up ultrasound on the thyroid nodule today. Unfortunately, the tech was unable to tell me anything, and it was difficult to figure out what was happening on the screen... I did see some measurements, I believe. I think one measurement was 48. something mm, which is definitely bigger than before. I do know that one view of the nodule, it was very large on the screen (which doesn't necessarily mean anything), and it was VERY round like a ball. Of course, I do have a habit of assuming, so I could have been wrong... so, smart me, I come home, get my sewing measuring tape and pressed on the nodule to feel the size and then did my own measuring... the 48mm seem right... why had I never done that before, I don't know. Maybe because I have a life, and enjoy other activities.
I do seem to be having symptoms of a thyroid problem... remember those whacky emotions, fatigue, weight gain, and (not that you would know this) my temperature is usually low... maybe 96 something, and other little physical issues. The other day, my temp actually got up to 98.6, and I felt like I had a fever! Our bodies can be so strange sometimes. Of course, I still have that annoying lump-in-the-throat feeling... the feeling that food is stuck in there. My appointment with the endocrinologist is next Thursday. I kind-of wish they would just take that thing out! It gives me the creeps!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sarah, I wanted to let you know that I probably won't be able to be downstairs this Sunday. My brother, Nathan, will be here. This will be his last time to be home for 2 years as he leaves for Germany next week. So I would like to be in the service with my family. Thanks!

Amanda Shough said...

Sarah,
Sorry about your thyroid issue. I don't know if you knew this or not, but I had thyroid problems starting around 15 years old. They killed it with a radiation pill and I've been on Synthroid ever since. I'll be honest, I haven't always taken it when I was supposed to. I will always have to take it. I was pretty upset with my doctor a few years ago because I found out through my own research that it could have been monitored and cure through diet and herbal remedies. Anyways, I was pretty upset to find out that my thyroid was "put to rest" when I could have done other things. Believe me, I know all about the weight gain. Well, I don't know if you have tried to call me or not, but my phone is out of service right now so this is the best way to get ahold of me. Well, I must be going. Ryan said hi. Love ya!

Sarah Cook said...

Julie,
That is fine. I can cover it. Thanks for letting me know.
Amanda,
I did try to call you, and found that your phone was not in order. Yes, I knew that you had thyroid probs, but I did not know that they had done the radiation pill. I think I have a growing lump, but my follow-up appointment isn't until Thursday, so I am not sure if I am right.

Anonymous said...

If nodule of this size appearad like a blackround at the screen it is most likely the cyst.

Sarah Cook said...

Anon,
I believe the first ultrasound and biopsy proved it not to be a cyst, but thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/medhelp_images/user_photos/6214?1206903763
http://s3.amazonaws.com/medhelp_images/user_photos/6213?1206903831
the above examples of the nodules as they appeared on ultrasound; the dashed lines are measuring the nodules. The hypoechoic nodule needs additional investigation; the dark circles on the image are blood vesssels.
Best of luck ,
Kind regards, "898"
Some solid nodules can undergo cystic degeneration [intranodular bleeding] this causes fast growth of the nodule and it appears complex on the ultrasound.