Thursday, July 9, 2009

Update

Well, we are getting the internet back by the 15th, so I can update things more often. I am sure you all would appreciate so pix pretty soon, and I would like to do that for ya.
My little Faith turned 5 Monday. Tuesday, Hope slept in a toddler bed for the first time. All of the girls are learning new things. Time goes by so fast.
Ron got good news Monday, and bad news Tuesday. The chemo he has been on has been so effective as to show no for sure soft tissue malignancy... praise God! The cancer in his hip is hardly noticible on the PET scan!
Tuesday, we met with the docs in Columbus. NO MATCHES FOR RON! Next option is umbilical cord cells (from live births), they don't have to match as closely as adult cells... no, this has nothing to do with abortion!!! You know we would never consider using cells from that!
But, even that they have to try to match as closely as possible. It is a VERY risky thing to do. His hopital stay would only be about the same length as before (which is different than I have originally thought), but he would have to come home on meds for at least three months. His chances of dying is higher in this transplant... 15%! If three people receiced this transplant, only one would be cured, one would die soon thereafter either from the transplant or cancer returning, and the other would relapse but would hang around for a few years with more chemo or other treatments. Ron's chances of being cured for long is not high according to the docs in Columbus, but they are not God either.
Ron has decided to continue the chemo he is on and see what happens since it has been working. Once you've used a chemo, you can't go back to it... so previous regimens are not an option. Life expectancy without the transplant (according to Columbus, if I understand correctly) sounds like just a few years... like maybe 3.
Well, I have to go, this is not my house and there is alot going on around me. Will update better later!

1 comment:

Missy said...

I am so glad that you are going to be getting your internet service back. I am one of your faithful "lurkers." Glad to hear that Ron's results from his PET Scan was good news. I will continue to pray for all of you.