Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I am home! Surgery is over, and life goes on.

I returned to a pretty clean house, as Ron's mom stayed overnight with the girls and cleaned house a whole lot. It was a relief. She also came to see me before my surgery and stayed with Ron some while he waited. She even did my hair for me after I got home and got my shower. Thank you so much to my kind MIL!
The nodule is gone, and the site is tender. I am so glad the surgery went well. The quick biopsy showed no cancer, but now they are dissecting the thing to check it more thoroughly. It was about the size of a walnut, according to the surgeon... he showed me on his hand... take your index finger and thumb tips and barely touch them, if you are a man, or not quite together for smaller hands... I imagine an oblong golf ball. He was glad that I had it removed. He did a good job. They acted as though it definitely could have been the source of my choking because of it's size and location. So, now I don't have my left thyroid, but I am happy... I think it is even easier to breathe, isn't that weird?! Now, I am back to changing diapers and giving demands... ha! I am not allowed to yell, lift over 10lbs, or vacuum for a few days, and I have to start out with soft foods. The children seem to realize my inability to talk louder than them, and that is causing quite a challenge, as they can be very loud sometimes, and they act like they cannot hear me.
I am enjoying the yummy ice cream the last couple of days. I LOVE ice cream, and this gives me the perfect excuse to indulge :-) It does feel good to my throat, and they also gave me this ice pack for my neck that feels absolutely wonderful! I also have Vicodin, if I need it. I am feeling so much better now, so I might not need medicine as much.
Well, I just thought I would let you all know how it went. Ron came back to the hospital last night to stay with me, as I was rather lonely and got nauseated from eating too much too soon and from my room being too hot. They gave me nausea medicine in my hip... OUCH!!! Tip: after you wake up from anesthesia, take it easy, even on a full liquid diet! I wasn't too terribly lonely for a while as I talked with the nurses and read my Bible, and Ron and our pastor came to see me. That was nice. I mostly felt lonely when I was nauseated.
I am well now, and am actually about to leave for a church ladies evening at the Golden Corral... soft foods, here I come! I haven't eaten there in a VERY long time!
Thank you all for praying for me, and for the phone calls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really glad to hear this, Sarah! I've been praying for you, Ron and the girls. It was so great to see you last week. Hope you heal quickly!

Blessings!