Sunday, October 19, 2008

LET ME BE REAL FOR A MOMENT...

Well, the stem cell apheresis is completed. Ron is glad! It was getting old getting poked over and over, and sitting for 5 hours at a time while they did this procedure... plus, getting all those Nupogen (sp?) shots every morning does give bone pain. I was able to be with him one of the days while they did apheresis (not for people who cannot handle watching blood being pumped out and through a machine and then returned... can be a bit woozy to watch if you ten d to get light-headed). The minimum requirement is 2 million stem cells and 5 million is the highest goal. In three days, they were able to get about 3.5 million, I think. They quit after that.

That was the easy step! He starts the BIG deal on his 33rd birthday... this week. Poor Ron! We are so thankful for all of the great Christian and family helpers we have lined up! We have house watchers, fish sitters, great trustworthy babysitters, mail collectors, laundry service, house cleaners, etc. I even have a lady friend at church who gives me backrubs!!! Wow!!! God is taking good care of us!!! Please, pray for our little girls as this will be hard for them, I am afraid, with their schedules being messed up and their parents not being there all the time. Well, I will be with them part of the time, but it is still tough.

Please, pray for Ron! The stories we have heard about this procedure is not fun! He will need prayer and your friendship! He has done sooo very well through everything, I am amazed! I know it is because you are praying for him!

This month marks about a year since we started this journey... beginning with the first biopsy... oh, what a journey! I never knew the struggles that families go through, marriages battle... yes, it is a battle. New thoughts, uncertainities, disagreements, hurts, a roller-coaster of emotions... pains physically and emotionally. Spiritually, there are mountains I have had to hurdle. Sometimes, it is like I am in a fog... not sure which way is up. Or, in a bad dream, waiting to be awakened back to that day when we first found out the news... hoping to be awakened and told it was just some nasty infection and that 10 days of antibiotics would take care of it all. Told that my fears were in vain... but, nay, here we are not sure what this all means... knowing this must fit into a great plan, but not sure how... you want to know what it is really like behind the happy mask... well, now you know a little, but you cannot know in whole unless you have walked this path. I lay in bed last night thinking about if Ron didn't make it through this transplant... I imagined myself yelling at him that he could not leave me... we have three little girls to raise! Oh, God, give us more time together! But, then, God knows best... We don't have to understand.

Ron is at church with Charity. I am home with Faith and Hope. Faithy is sick with a fever and pains and aches. I sure hope I don't catch it! I want to be able to be with Ron at the hospital, and I won't be allowed if I am sick.

We had some good family time this past week. I am thankful. Whatever happens, it will be okay, because God will carry us through. Thank you for your loving comments and prayers!

Forgive me for being drab today, but, I thought I would let those who are going through simular things know, it is normal to have confusing feelings and extra struggles. I just choose not to go around sad all of the time, because we are in good HANDS!

5 comments:

Liz said...

Praying for you!!! I frequently read and wish I could help, but I'm thankful, as you are, that many are being so helpful. Isn't the family of God wonderful?

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

My heart is crying for you at this very moment. I cannot imagine the pain Ron is going through and your pain being by his side and watching him go through it. We can only trust in the Savior Who loves us so much. I will be praying for you and Ron. One thing I have learned when crisis comes is let your friends and family help you. You need to take care of yourself too. Don't forget that. Love you.

Constance said...

Oh Sarah, I think about you guys non-stop. We are still praying for you daily. The Lord will be with you and give strength and help. We love you guys alot.

Anonymous said...

hey sis just thought I would send you my love I wish I could be there for you but you know I have to work, however my heart and prayers are with you, Ron, and my precious neices! I love you so much and always know that if you just need someone to unload on I am here for you as I always have! I love ya, take care and keep in touch!
Love your lil sis,
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Love you, Sarah. I'm praying for you. Glad you let the mask slip a little. I think it was appropriate! Wishing you load upon load of God's grace for each moment. Blessings!