Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Cook Vacation

What a vacation that was! We've been back since Sunday night, but we've been a bit busy.
On our vacation, which was at Pike Lake State Park, I took the girls for a few hikes... some were very rugged, and you should have (or, rather be gldd you didn't) seen me carry a 25 1/2 lb baby on my hip for about 1.3 miles up a rugged hill and over huge fallen trees and down a steep embankment, while watching and guiding 2 and 4 year olds how to carefully hike the trail... you should have seen how very, very excited Charity was... though she fell many times, she thought it was extremely fun! They enjoyed my nature lessons as I explained various tracks, nuts, some plants (which I really don't know much about... I just tried to explain what I could), what makes our voices echo in the hills, etc. Ron gave fishing lessons one day, and I brought these Bible story videos that the girls had here at home, but have not been able to watch because they are VHS's... they served as attention keepers when we were in our cabin... since we certainly didn't want them watching TV and one day it was too cold for the to spend much time outside. It was a special treat.
Ron had a terrible bout of tendonitus in one of his legs, Faith came down with a stomach virus, and Hope fell off a chair and busted her mouth badly... but, purposing in my heart that our vacation would be worth it all, I did the hikes, playing at the park, did a worm hunt (yes, we dug for our own fishing bait, etc.), went fishing (though we caught no fish, and was being pursued by some hungry and hopeful geese), picked wild flowers, ran up and down a huge grassy hill, grilled out some, and enjoyed our cozy cabin.
Sunday was enjoyed with some friends (the poor lady of the house got her leg talked off by none other than me... poor lady). Ron was scheduled to preach at their church... the tough part was that Faith had became very sick in the previous night, and had vomited over and over, and that day, she came down with a nasty fever of 101.9 axillary! So, that evening, while the family, Ron, and Charity, went to church, I stayed at the folks house with Faith and Hope. The morning service, I had to take Faith, because I wasn't sure what else to do, and we put the vomit bucket under our van until after church(not thinking about the fact we were deep into the country)... the bucket (which actually was the bottom section of a potty chair) was GONE when we came out! Perhaps some dog?! Gross!!! Fortunately, we have another potty chair available here at home (I like to travel with one on long trips with little people). How none of the other children came down with fevers and vomiting is a miracle!
Well, in the past few days, I have been learning a few lessons... one is... don't go on feelings... good or bad... you can't trust them... I thought something was going to happen, that did not apparently, and I was a bit disappointed. I am not sure how faith plays into this, but I just know I have been wrong alot when it comes to feelings.
Secondly, it seems I have been kicking a few habits that I have gotten into a rut with... got a few more to go. I am realizing more and more how certain foods, thoughts, activities, ect, effect me, and I am trying (though not very hard) to break some habits (little things) that don't do my family or me much good.
Well, I would love to share with you pictures of our trip, but I had to use a disposible camera due to my forgetting my digital... it was lots of fun, and Ron wished it could have been longer... he found it quite relaxing (minus the leg pain at night).
Our family doctor gave Ron an anti-inflamatory medication, and it REALLY helped him last night! The girls all saw the pediatrician yesterday... Faith was a sick appointment, and Hope and Charity went for well check-ups... Hope and Charity are healthy little girls, and Faith put up quite a fight for the doctor, but she will be fine... just a "stomach flu." Hope is 25 1/2lbs, Charity is 30 lbs (she will be three Saturday, and is my very thin child right now), and Faith was 40 lbs (she has been around this weight for a long time).
Faith had her second piano lesson today, and the teacher said she did very well.
Next week is IHC, and I am hoping to get my two oldest children to sing in the children choir. Faith did it last year... and, I just loved watching her up there! Maybe I am a little proud, but I think my girls are so very cute, and I am proud of them.

I am not sure if I will post again for a while so let me say something to my little girl who is about to turn 3!

Charity Ruth (Cherry),
Mommy wants you to know how very much I love you. You have brought so much joy and laughter into our home. You are beautiful, intelligent, and funny. You have beautiful big blue eyes and a gorgious smile (how did you get perfect teeth?). You crack us up when you hear a crinkle of wrapper and just know there must be a snack nearby and start asking what we have. You have a radar for gum, you can smell it a mile away, I think. Ha! I remember how you used to look down with your face, but up at us with those eyes... and, you would make us want to laugh! You were so very shy for a long time, but you seem to be coming out of that a little. You are growing up on me, yet you are so tiny and snuggly, and I am very happy you are my little girl.
Always follow Jesus... there is no other way to Heaven. Let Him be Lord of your life, and allow Him to work out His special plan for your life!
Hope your birthday brings lots of good memories and smiles!
Happy Birthday
Love you lots and lots with sugar on top!
Mommy

No comments: