Monday, August 24, 2009

BREAKING NEWS

Ron just received word that it appears they have enough cells for his transplant. He has an appointment with his oncologist this afternoon and we'll see when his PET is... I am not sure where and when things will go from there.
This is scary business, and I am not entirely sure it is the best thing to do... but, the oncologists think it is the only way to cure him... but, the risks are HUGE!!! The mortality rate is frightening and the side effects are scary... pray for wisdom, dear friends!!!
The tension here is high... life is in the balance.
Please, pray... Ron is doing so well right now... by that, I mean he is working full-time, and doing lots of stuff... even with some neuropathy... seems strange to think of putting him through this when he is so active. Can't say it thrills him to think of being tortured again.
As you might know, bone marrow tranplants/stem-cell transplants often come right after a patient is given the chemo of chemos! This time the chemo won't be maybe as strong as the last time, but the point will be to actually KILL HIS IMMUNE SYSTEM... really, that is what the goal is... they have to, in order for the body not be attacked or to attack the new incoming cells. You can see why this is a very dangerous this to do... any sickness, and Ron could be in big trouble with not having an immune system. I do encourage visitors so Ron doesn't feel abandoned, but if you have a cold or any symptoms of an illness, please just send a card or balloons... no plants and there are certain food restrictions. There is a chance that you could show up and you will not be able to see him because he is too sick or asleep, and no children are allowed in that area. You have to wash your hands alot. Be prepared that he will not look like the Ron you know. You may be asked to wear a mask and other coverings. Just don't hesitate in letting him know you care. He LOVES cards! He has been saving your cards!!!
Like I said, I don't know when this will take place, but it sounds like they have the cells... should find out more after this oncologist appointment.

5 comments:

Quakenbush's said...

Sarah,
You do not know who I am, my name is Tasha Quakenbush. I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you and Ron as God brings you to my mind. My dad just was diagnosed with lung cancer this year. He has had surgery, and is doing well at this point, at least physically. Spiritually- he does not know the Lord. But we are praying and trusting God for His timing. I know that God will help you through this time of uncertainty, as it seems He has already been helping you so far.
May God bless and be with you,
Tasha Q.

Missy said...

Wow...I don't know whether to be happy or scared! I guess both! I am glad they have enough cells. Now is where God's people have to pray even more than what we already are. Please remember that even though we really don't know each other I pray for you and Ron often!!! Here is a big hug for you just in case you need it! 8-)

sankey family said...

Please know that our love and prayers are with you - all the way from Mexico! May God strengthen you for whatever lies ahead.

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Sarah, You know that I am praying. God's people are praying all over for Ron and you. Please send me your address. I will be requesting prayer at church as well. God bless and strengthen you. Love you.

Lanee M. said...

Sarah,
We will be praying for you. Please send me your address too.
Your strength is so encouraging, I don't know how you do it, except through the grace of God.

Love and Prayers,