Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How do you get relief from grief???

It is past mid-night, and I am up (supposed to be cleaning house), and I keep hurting inside about my Grandma. All those memories keep popping up! I hear or see something and there comes another memory. My youngest child was singing a tune today that I think I learned from my Grandma at a VERY young age. She didn't mean to make me sad, but she must love the little tune like I did... although she doesn't know the whole song. When I broke the news to the kids, Faith immediately looked sad, and said something like, "She is the one who gave us those cups!" They had these sippy cups out... actually, they are animal-shaped cups with built in straws, and the kids love them. Faithy was right... they were from her Great-Grandma. Those pictures on my blog break my heart... I can't believe she won't be there the next time I come to visit to give me a hug, and stand on the porch when we leave, waiving and waiving at us as we go. I even miss her cough. Her name is tucked into my middle child's name... Charity Ruth Cook... Ruth was my Grandma, and the name of a fantastic woman in Scripture... two wonderful reasons to use that beautiful name. I hope Cherry will live up to the name of these servant-hearted women, as they were not all about themselves, but about others and God.
My Grandma certainly had a servant's heart. Who would have guessed she wouldn't have been there for this Thanksgiving... it is hard for me to even type this... I just can't believe she is gone. I miss you so much already, Grandma! Thanks for all you did for us... I don't think I will ever forget how special you made my birthdays as a child, with those beautifully decorated cakes, with the fantastically delicious icing! Glad you took those classes for that! Thank you for being lady-like... it is hard to find true ladies these days! Everything about you that I could see screamed LADY! You weren't flashy, show-offish, or glamorious... you were plain and beautiful! You seemed content... I like that. You will be so very missed.
I hope your having a wonderful time in Heaven, but we are having a tough time here letting go. As quickly as life goes, I guess we all could sing that little tune you taught us to keep us calm while driving home, "We're almost home, we're almost home..." This time it's the REAL home!!!
I love you, Grandma!

1 comment:

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Sarah, rejoice with your grandma. She is rejoicing with Jesus. I know you are hurting because you miss her so much. I'll be praying for you that God will be especially near to you today. Love you!!