Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I have big dreams for these children!

Faith... I don't think she realized how funny this was until she saw her sisters. I have a couple of extra pictures of Faith on here, as I was trying to get a good pic... wish she was smiling here.


Hope's little face, trying to be seen. She was too funny in that thing!

Charity... I should have told her to put her hands down, but I thought it was funny.

Another picture of Faith, looking rather serious, I know.
So, in case you were wondering, I took the girls to the Air Force Museum yesterday for about 2 1/2 hours... that was tiring... but I am trying to do some fun things with the kids before school starts up again... so we've been cramming activities and housework together.
Faith has her own room now, that is almost done being painted... it's her favorite color... PINK! It needs a door still, but she is enjoying her pretty "new" bedroom.
Yesterday, I sent off my letter of intention for homeschooling Faith. This was the first time I was required by the state to send one... preschoolers and kindergartners are not required to send one. Charity will be in pre-school, so she didn't need one. I don't know whether to be nervous or excited about school this year... she now has to have 900 hours of educational time, and has required subjects be the state. I have chosen a curriculum that has a very good reputation (I started inquiring about a good curriculum when Faith was a baby... I wanted to make an knowledgeable decision there), so I feel good about that. The hours that it is going to require every day, along with the housework and the fact I have a two year old, is making me nervous.
I sure wouldn't mind having some input from other home-schooling mothers about how they manage younger children and housework, while teaching... I would love good tips. Maybe you have some sort of organized game plan each day, or activities aligned for the younger children. Charity and Faith are happy about starting school. I am kind of excited, too. It is so fun watching the children learn to reading, write, add, subtract, learn science and history, and their Bible studies. I was VERY pleased with how much Faith learned last year. Now I will have 2 students... yay! Please, share your tips!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Only home-educated one year, but this year I will have three not in school... I don't think I could manage doing all the teaching and managing all the rest too... For this reason we have chosen the BJU hard drive option and Gracie -I get her started and she can do quite a bit from the directions the teacher gives.

I just read the other day that when you have your children home all day every day there is automatically more mess. I'm determined to do a better job having chore routines to manage this aspect of home educating.

I also try to remember that it is a trade off - I want to have them home and be the primary influence, but it comes with a price... more mess, less time for housework, etc. More time for that later :>)

www.preschoolersandpeace.com

Very helpful blog I'd recommend for your question and chore ideas...

Unknown said...

I have a friend who homeschools and this year she decided to only teach 4 days instead of 5. She is taking Monday off so that she can use that day get things back in order from the weekend activities and church and also use that day for running her errands. She said she know some families take Friday as their day. That might be a consideration or even to just do a half day sometimes. I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Belle said...

Sarah, if I understand correctly, that 900 hours can be used for field trips ect. Public schools use the 900 hours for lunch and recess also. I have a friend that used cleaning as home ec. to add into the hours. Something to check into and consider.