Sunday, May 10, 2009

Attention Mommies and wise people:

Gotta question for ya.
Youngest child had very red, irritated cheeks. Been like this off and on for perhaps a few months. Sometimes a rash will even break out on face. No fever. Healthy child. Eats and drinks very well. Potties fine. Has plenty of energy, yet takes good naps. Kept very clean. But, cheeks get very red, and chapped, and sometimes peel. Sometimes very horrible to look at.
I am getting quite convinced that the child is having an allergic reaction to something... perhaps a food item, a chemical, or her soap. I am trying to come up with a plan.
I have a few ideas. I have three food items I plan to test. Tomatoes, cow's milk, and peanut butter.
I plan to also test soap... one problem... what shall I use in it's stead? It also well could be her wet wipes... I have a reaction with those sometimes myself.
Have any of you had any experience with this? How long should I test each item? Are there food items, or otherwise, you can think of that would cause such a reaction? She does love fruit, too. I am having trouble deciding which to test first. I am weary of seeing this poor child's face look so rough... I have tried lotions, etc, but this problem keeps coming. Sometimes it is so bright red that people that see her ask me what happened to her. I was hoping it would be resolved by now, and I think I even have mentioned it to a doctor before, but the problem is still not solved, so I am going to do my own investigation... with you, my fellow bloggers... we are going to figure this thing out! Just don't charge me, now! :-)

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I know you don't know me but I happened across your blog a while back and check in once in a while. Thought I'd put in my opinion on this one since I have 2 little ones with sensitive skin and allergies.

It sounds like eczema which is lots of times caused by an allergy.

My first guess would be dairy products. If you take away ALL dairy products with no results my second try would be soap and wipes. Huggies makes an unscented very gentle baby wash that has no dyes. Parents choice sensitive wipes (blue package) have nothing in them to cause irritation.

I would also try using a free and clear laundry detergent on her clothes and bedding. If she has an allergy to the detergent her sheets are washed in and lays on her tummy or side, her cheeks will be in direct contact with the sheets causing irritation. Also, fabric softener can cause irritation.


If none of this works, and she still has this problem, I would look at possibly a wheat allergy. I know, it sounds way out there but it happens. Some children can't tolerate wheat and other gluten--the problem is wheat is in so many foods that it's hard to try to take it out. But, it's worth a try if it's an allergy.

I sure hope you figure it out soon!

Nicole said...

I forgot to add: I would test each item for at least 4-5 days preferably longer.

If you haven't already tried this use Aquaphor on her face to help heal the redness, this stuff works great!

Martha C said...

I had similar problems with Seth and Ethan, and in our situation it was due to very sensitive skin. They have not had a problem since I switched to Melaleuca products as they are truly all natural and not like other products that claim that title. You may be able to find someone who buys from them and just get the detergent and kids' shampoo/body wash. Since I have used those, no rash has ever hit my boys' skin again. I did research and discovered that most everyday products are loaded with harmful chemicals, and it will typically show up in the sensitive skin of some people.

Liz said...

My kids have very sensitive skin and especially in the winter their cheeks get very chapped, but I don't know if that's what's going on or not. I use the A & D that is not the white cream, but the more clear type to moisturize and protect it.

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Sarah I agree with Nicole. Tricia has very sensitive skin and we are battling ecxema too. Some things seem to make it break out worse than others. I have to be very careful about certain soaps. She has some of those Avon body paint soaps for the bathtub and they break her face out really bad. There is a lotion you can get but it's like really expensive. Also very greasy.

Good luck with the redness. It should go away. Tricia's looks really red then changes to patches of dry skin. They will even peel. I just use lotion on it and try to keep her face clean. She also gets this on her butt cheeks. I have a cream that doc gave me for that. I use it when the redness shows up.

Hope this helps. Love you and praying for Ron. God is in control. He knows what Ron is going through. My heart is so heavy for you. I will be praying.

God bless.

electa said...

hey sarah,

just got around to finding your blog address. on the question of the rash on hopie's face, it could be overload of acid in what she's eating, believe it or not, drool from where she naps or even something she touched outside. i found when dulcee had this as a child, the best thing i found that didn't dry her skin out or make it worse was phisoderm. it is hypoallergenic and actually softens the skin. that's all i used on her when i first brought her home from the hospital. it doesn't have the best aroma but it works. you might also try thinning out some aveeno and using that. you could also try putting a little vaseline or aloe massaged in. works like a charm.

by the way,,,,love ya
if there's anything you need that i'm able to do for you all you have to do is ask.

prayers and kisses your way,