Saturday, May 2, 2009

The desires of my heart!

As you know, I am currently a stay-at-home mom with a hubby who works full-time for the public school system (strange irony with my homeschooling) and doing volunteer ministry. So, we are not rich by the world's standards, but we amazingly get all our needs supplied! If we need, or sometimes want, something, it generally comes to pass... it's a God-thing, I guess you could say.
Yesterday, it happened again! My daughter was crying because her shoes were too tight, so I had her go ahead and wear them to her piano lesson, promising we would get her new ones. She also had outgrown most of her shirts. So, yesterday evening, Ron watched the girls for me while I went thrift-store shopping (I have been needing to do this for a long time) for "new" clothes for Faith. I had gotton "new" skirts a while back as you might remember from a previous post. I looked and looked for tennis shoes for Faith, but couldn't find decent shoes, so I left that section, but spotted a lady with a rack of children's shoes ready to put them out. I told her the size I was looking for, and asked if I could look in her basket. I wasn't allowed to do that, but she looked for me. There, in that basket, was a pair of tennis shoes the size I was looking for. It looked like it had only been wore maybe twice. It was very cheap, and even found some cute, clean play shoes for the other girls. (It seems they are all having a growth spurt! Charity was in size 7 shoes for a VERY short time. I just bought her a pair of size 8 yesterday, but it looks like it might not last too long. Hope got new size 4 shoes for her 1st birthday, and I found some cheep other types later, but BOOM! They were too tight too quickly! I found some Osh Kosh shoes size 5 yesterday... so cute!) Got 15 shirts for Faith (for church and play)... I bought them a little big on purpose. Many of them were name brand clothing... Things like Old Navy, the Children's Place, Mary Kate and Ashley, Gymboree, and several others.
Then, I SAW it! I have been hoping for a while for a set of white bunk beds for the girls. I had certain requirements... I wanted them to not be too tall, and they needed good railing! These didn't have the mattresses, but they were white and have huge railings... definitely used, but what can you expect?! I was hurrying to be sure to get those bunks, and fell over someone's cart, and am terribly bruised... Oh, well! I got the bunks. I spent a good deal of money at the thrift store, needless to say... it added up to around 80 dollars. But, that is much less than what it would have been to get three pairs of shoes, fifteen shirts (name brands, at that), and bunkbeds! We'll have too tighten our belts for the next couple of weeks because of these purchases, but, I am very thankful for God's provision! Now, we just need to wait for God to provide the mattresses... it's not a big deal to Him! Since the girls all share a room, this will help with the space their room.
It's funny, because my neighbor is moving and was THROWING away stuff! We're talking about Longaburger, Tupperwear, speakers, and an 2 huge awesome suitcases (American Tourister), etc, etc. We probably recued maybe a couple hundred dollars worth of stuff out of her trash!!! The suitcases (which are probably the best we've ever owned) were rescued RIGHT before the trash truck got to our side of the street!!! Her health is bad, and she is a widow and didn't know what to do with the stuff since she is moving to a small apartment for elderly folk. She is extremely clean, and has very nice stuff. Funny, how God gives nice treats... even if we did have to look silly getting into our neighbor's trash!
I went grocery shopping at Aldi's, and spent less than $40 on groceries... was pretty happy with how much groceries I got with that amount of money.
Oh, also, I have ordered the materials for my next shift for Children's Church! Wait until you see our theme! Sooo excited! I ordered it from Answers in Genesis... It is their 2009 VBS program!!! So, children, get ready for a great blast-off!!!!

2 comments:

Martha C said...

I hope all of you are doing well. Enjoy reading the stories you post. I am just a bit lazy with commenting since my computer acts up at times. I think of you often. Have a great week!

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

Just to let you know, dumpster diving is quite a hit in FL. My husband found me an electric broom vac and I use if faithfully every day. Especially since we got this big dog. I don't know what I would do without it. My sister finds all kinds of stuff in the dumpsters. Do some more trash digging. You'll find all kinds of treasures. What's that old saying "one mans junk is another mans treasure??" I believe it's true. See ya.