Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Here we go again!

Options are running kind-of low since Ron has tried around 3 regimens of chemo, tried some radiation, had the autologous stem-cell transplant, and still his cancer keeps coming.
The biopsy was non-diagnostic... just dead cells. The area they tried to reach on his acetabulum was very difficult, although he had a good surgeon, so it sounds like they may not have reached the abnormality that was seen on the PET.
Because the focus in the right mid lung field is so small, it did not show up on the x-ray. I suppose they aren't going to try to get a biopsy of the areas in the celiac region, or otherwise.
Ron's oncologist is to talk with his BMT doctor in Columbus to see what he says. Definitely sounds like more chemo is in the plan, with the possibility of an allogenous stem-cell transplant. We'll find out soon.
Ron was trying so hard to avoid this. He has been eating large amounts of fresh fruits and vegetables, hoping this could even help the cancer to not return. He did what he could, but his cancer has been very mean to him.
They are assuming that these areas of up-take on the PET are the Hodgkin's, which I think is correct. His leg, knee, hip, and lower back continue to give him pain, for which he takes meds to cope. So much for the "tendinitis" diagnosis given by another doctor! I was very suspicious that it was cancer, and wanted Ron to get a PET scan to check it out. It's a wife thing. I have even been known to call the oncologist office myself with concerns about Ron... hopefully, I don't embarrass him too much.
Last night I cried and cried, and I cried loudly. I begged God. I hit my bed (at least it's a soft item). I hugged on Ron, and finally fell asleep. I am grieving.

7 comments:

Liz said...

I'm so sorry, Sarah. I'm praying God will surround you with His strength.

sankey family said...

Sarah, I feel your desperation through this post...so sorry for all of this. I am praying for you.

Danny,Liz,Becca,Ben, Abby and Caleb said...

Hi Sarah~
I met you at IHC in the mother's nursery. I am so sorry to hear about Ron's cancer returning. I will be praying for you that Jesus will give you grace and strength to get thru this! Just lean on Jesus!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I'll be praying for you!!

Amanda Shough said...

oh Sarah, I can't even imagine having the words to say that would comfort you, except that God is bigger than cancer. He loves Ron so much and He knows what He's doing. Sometimes it's so hard to trust, but what else can we do? I love you, girl and I am praying for you. I wish I could do more. I really do. May God wrap His arms around you and your family and give you peace and strength to endure the days to come.

Anonymous said...

Love you, Sarah. Still praying.

Missy said...

I can actually sense your pain from this post. I am so sorry. Life can be so cruel. I am praying in earnest for you!!!