Friday, May 16, 2008

More from the Cook home...

Wow! I must have been half-asleep, or something, on that last post! Nice spelling errors! I used to cringe seeing such errors, but this is a blog, not a textbook.

We went to my uncle's viewing on Wednesday. My heart broke for my aunt. I can only imagine her loneliness right now. (I am much more empathetic these days.) Do pray for her.

Would you believe I actually purchased K4 work for Faith already!? I know Summer is about to start, but I thought I would buy it already since our stimulus check came and we had the money for it. It really was not that expensive for a whole year's worth of homeschooling material... if you do it the way I did. She is a very bright child, and I feel confident that she will do well. Would love to hear from other homeschooling mamas what they use and like. I have done some worksheets that you can get from stores off and on with Faith, and it has helped keep her sharp. But, I haven't done it for a long while... after all, she is not required to do any at her age, but she thinks it is fun to do "schoolwork" sometimes. I even have a little desk for her. I figure that Charity will start picking things up from Faith. She copies her all the time!

Last night, I played Candy Land with the girls, and Faith is very good at it, although Charity won. It is a fun way to teach colors and how to take turns. We've been taking walks and playing outside alot, which is an awesome way to teach "science." The girls have been watching mama's flowers grow and bloom, observed a bird bathing, talked about different types and colors of trees and "flowers" (if you consider picking dandelions "flowers"), and practiced throwing "helicopters" (you know, those things that fall from trees, and when you throw them, they spin... lots of fun!).

That is a bit of what has been going on here! Sound fun? It is! Except for little Charity's banged up forehead... an example of fun gone a little crazy! (You should see my girls trying to go down a slide back first!)

Oh, and a terrible thing happened the other day! Hope fell off my bed! I nearly had a heart-attack when I woke up to a "thud" and an infant's cry! I gave her quite the assessment afterward. I even had her "follow my finger" with her eyes to make sure she was alright! Okay, you may laugh, but I was very serious! Of course, the physical came after mama's natural calming method for her infants (It is like magic!). I was glad there was a towel lying beside the bed since my bedroom floor is hard wood. And, after calming the poor child down, she was fine... no injuries, just a paniced and nearly crying mother! One down-side to when a baby learns to roll-over both ways. She has to be the cuddliest and cheeriest (is that a word?) little baby on Earth! So glad she was fine!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Funny that we played Candy Land last night too. :>)

About homeschooling - I just heard of a Christian school in my area that offers a satellite homeschooling program - I'm going to check in to it - might be something similar there.

Constance said...

It is amazing how fast our children grow up. Madelyn turns 3 in a couple of weeks. Two years and we start school.