Monday, December 28, 2009

A crazy night

Last night was wild... from church to Ron's parents house, my children were difficult... mostly because they were plain tired.
When I came home, and the two older girls were put to bed, Hope refused to go to sleep and cried and cried. I tried everything throughout the night... a drink, a snack, holding her, singing to her, letting her "cry it out," pleading with God for help, changing diaper, a Hermie DVD, a Gigi DVD, checking her teeth that are coming in, Children's Tylenol, etc. It was exhausting!!! In my heart, I knew what was wrong. Saturday I had put a towel and bags over her cast so she could get a bath for Sunday, but she splashed and played before I got to her, and the cast was wet. I worried... I mean, WORRIED over that. I worried over her skin. I tried blow drying it, but I didn't want to burn her skin either. So, I just knew the way she was acting that her skin was not doing so great from the day and night of wetness. It was still nighttime and running off to the ER on the slick roads and not to mention the germs I would bring home to my husband with his compromised immune system just to cut off the wet cast, was not a good choice... something had to be done right away, the child was very uncomfortable. I DO NOT recommend this, but in the night, Ron and I cut off her cast, and just like Mommy thought, her skin looked horrible!!! I let it dry out and put some anti-itch cream and antibiotic cream and lotion on it. It is looking better, and since the doctor said that the fracture would heal even without me doing anything... then, the plan right now is to have her wear her special shoe while walking, and I will call the doctor later. I am so glad we got that cast off... who knows what would have happened if we had left it on. Let me repeat... I DO NOT RECOMMEND parents doing this... especially if your child had more than a little crack on a toe bone. It was my fault. I should have been more careful not to get her cast wet.
Then, in the middle of the night, I received a phone call from my brother's wife, asking about Dad. I am clueless, except I know a few days ago, he was having chest pain. My brother had read on Facebook that Dad was in the hospital, he texted his wife at work, she calls me and wants to know what was happening. I tried calling my sister's place and my parents' home, and no answer... I STILL have not heard ANYTHING. My guess is that he had another heart attack and they are all at the hospital with him.
What a crazy night!
But, I am sooo thankful that Hope's foot is going to be just fine now. Mommies have this special instinct sometimes that causes them to loose sleep worrying... and, it was right this time... her skin was at risk, but she is going to be just fine now. She was able to sleep soundly after we got it off and is soooo much more happier! She didn't really mind the cast, until it got wet... that is why I knew it wasn't just frustration, something was wrong. She was great for Ron while he cut it off. She didn't like it when I tried to do it... Daddy has the touch!
Glad that is over with! I hope we NEVER have another broken bone. Goal: Keep stuff off the floor where people walk to avoid more injuries... tough goal with 3 children 5 and under.

No comments: