Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Home decorating and organization ideas?

Got three questions for those out there with creative thinking...

I live in a mobile home, okay. We have no laundry room... we have a laundry closet (with the washer and dryer and an above cabinet for supplies). I seek for ideas how to beautify an un-hidable laundry area. I want ideas that will actually make it pretty. Color scheme in kitchen is burgandy/red, blue, and white.

I would like to award Faith for each reading book accomplished (we are talking a hundred something page books, generally). What do you think would be some incentive for a six year old? She already LOVES her first reading book and reading it is exciting enough, but I think a child who must read several hundred pages ought to have something exciting to look forward to.

One more thing for today: I would like an idea for making curtains for Faith's room. Look at the earlier pictures posted. I am aiming for brights and whites. Her comforter is bright pink, green, and I believe there is yellow in it. Her favorite color is pink. If you have run into any material that would look great with this, where was it? Maybe you know of a link to a curtain design that would look cute.

Hope to share picts of what we decide in the future here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look through sales papers from different stores for ideas on simple/easy-to-make valances. I found one I like in the Sears paper and it is relatively simple. I'm not creative enough to think of stuff on my own. Or you could make a simple valance and then drape a length of fabric in a coordinating (or contrasting) color (like a swag). This works if you have the kinds of curtain rods that stick out of the ends of the curtains with the finials on the ends.
Sometimes at yard sales you can pick up nice pieces of fabric for a fraction of the price you'd pay in the store. I've picked up a lot this summer that I'm using to cover pillows with. Or wrinkle free sheets make nice curtains/valances. I've also used shower curtains to make window curtains or valances. You can cut it and hem the top the way you want or you could tie it up (to the curtain rod) with ribbon or raffia or a contrasting color of cloth.
If you want a simple curtain/valance, it's easy enough to wing it. Usually 1 1/2 -2 times the width of the window works depending on how full you want it. Make allowance for hemming the side edges. For the length, make allowances for the bottom hem and the top rod pocket. 2-3 inches above the top rod pocket makes a nice ruffled top. The width of the rod pocket depends on the width of the curtain rod. It is wise to add maybe an 3/4 to 1 inch to the width of the rod pocket so it doesn't end up being too tight to slide onto your curtain rod. (Voice of experience)
As far as the books go, use a reward system of something she likes or you could pay her 1.00 for every 100 pages she reads. Then she could use the money she's saved up to buy something she really wants.

Sarah Cook said...

Anon,
You have some great ideas there! Thanks!
Thanks, Kira, as well!

Anonymous said...

In a house I used to live in many years ago, my laundry room was a cubby hole off the kitchen. Louvered doors closed off the area nicely when needed.