Saturday, August 7, 2010

A toddler's terrifying trauma

Well, before I tell you about one of the most heart-stopping moments in a mama's life, let me give you an update about what was posted earlier...
1. Dad's surgery went fine, though we don't know any results as of yet.
2. I was told my aunt did fine through her pacemaker surgery.
3. I took Faith to the doctor, but was told it was a virus, so no antibiotics. Her fever raged on up to 104.2 F yesterday. It was not fun. She had a fever again this morning, so I thoroughly medicated her, and she is in dreamland... under her arm, it was 102.0 this morning. It is one of those sicknesses you just have to wait out and make sure she is well hydrated on... yesterday morning (early), she vomited. This sickness is contagious, and I am waiting to see who is struck next. Sigh! She has had soooo many baths since her fevers started (one way of trying to cool down that steaming little body) and she is a very thirsty little girl.

Now, to the story for today... as before mentioned, we went to the pediatrician yesterday. Then, I picked up a few items for the ill, and was on Smithville Road, when all of a sudden someone changed lanes right in front of me. I slammed on the brakes (glad no one slammed into me and I didn't slam into the car who pulled in front of me (even though my tires really screeched!). Anyway, I heard a thud INSIDE my car! A child crying where no child should be... ON THE FLOOR!!!! HOPE!!! What had happened! My mind was whirling! "I have to pull over! Quick!" I reached back, and the poor girl STRAPPED TO HER CAR SEAT had flown from the chair, still strapped in and faced down on the floor being smashed by her car seat. I tried to lift her chair a bit to relieve some of the pressure, while I looked for a place to get off the road. WHY WASN'T THE CAR SEAT FASTENED TO THE CHAIR? We may never know for sure, but I have some guesses. I really expected an injury... a little blood, perhaps a broken bone, as I lifted the seat off of her... but, there was no blood. I unstrapped the little gal who was crying her little eyes out and drooling, and held her, looked her over, and to my amazement, she was okay... traumatized, but fine. She MAY have some bruising, but PRAISE GOD she is fine!!! I couldn't get it out of my mind... so late last night I was praying for God to give me some peace, 'cause if you would have been there to see what had happened, it might have traumatized you, too. Babies and car seats are not made to fly several feet through a van and slam face-down on the floor boards. I could keep imagining how much worse things could have turned out... so... Moms, Dads, of young children, you might want to check EVERY TIME to make sure that the seats have not somehow gotten unfastened from the chairs... it is easy just to assume that once they are harnessed in, you are good to go, but is that car seat still snugly strapped. We did have someone watch the girls the other day, and Ron thought he had re-strapped her chair in... so, maybe, because she was so closely seated to another child's booster seat, maybe they had mistakenly unfastened her chair, I don't know... I just know the horror of knowing my child flew through the van. So, that is my scary story... check those seats!!!

2 comments:

Belle said...

I had that happen to me. Thankfully Rebekah was face planted in the driver seat right in front of her. So she didn't get hurt, just scared me.

sarahmfry said...

It's an awful feeling to arrive somewhere and realize that your child's car seat was unfastened the whole time! Until just recently, we had 4 car seats to check! So glad she's okay.