Monday, August 2, 2010

School Day No 1

I think I might have lost my mind if I had tried to pull a full day today with school. Having 2 children in school is a new thing for me, but even though Charity is only 4, she wants to do it... so she is in K4 A Beka... her school days are short, so it is not too bad. My struggle today... I tried to teach Charity how to properly hold a pencil. Folks, that sounds like no big deal, but this kid made it one! She loved the coloring, learning her sounds, reveiwing colors, discussing her number and letter of the day, talking about proper behavior in school, her Indian poem, and all, but that pencil was an issue... I tried and tried to show her, and was ready to throw in the towel, when I realized that she didn't even have to know that on the first day... should have looked at my teacher's manuel first, and saved myself some hair!
Faith had a short day, and was like, "Mom! I thought I was supposed to have school for 6 hours every day!" I had told her that to prepare her for longer days of school. Really, it has to be 900 hours a year. I started early because our schedules can never be completely certain. I mean, last year, it was a very good thing I started early with Faith, because Ron had some serious hospital stays and all.
We still haven't had a kindergarten celebration for Faith, and I hope Ron and I can do something for her still.
Pray for me as I try to figure out my balance with the school and housework.
I typed up a daily schedule and if I follow it, we should do quite well. It might be exhausting, but my youngsters will be well educated! I am trying smooth it out right now.
Wanting your opinion... would it be rude not to answer my phone during school hours? I have an answering machine and caller ID that could record missed calls and take important phone calls, so I could return them after school hours. What do you think? Is that inconsiderate or rude? I am not sure how I would feel if it were me calling with an important phone call... maybe if I returned calls during breaks and lunch time... what do you other home school moms do? Looking for practical answers to practical issues here. I certainly don't have all the answers, but I am learning, and want to do a good job, without going crazy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think if you let everyone know in advance you will not be answering your phone due to schooling, why should anyone think you are rude? If you have an answering machine they can leave a message if it is important or an emergency.
I know of homeschooling moms who won't answer their phones during school hours or their kids evening devotions. I think that's a great idea.
You're doing great!!

Beth said...

I don't think its rude at all. Your kids have to come first. It its important they will leave a message and you can call them back:-)that just what I think tho:-)

Mindy said...

I don't think it's rude at all. They can leave a message if it's anything important. We homeschool as do my sister and sisters in law. I just try not to call them during the day because I never know their schedule. My kids are older, so they do alot on their own. Keep encouraged. It sounds like you're doing a great job.:)

Liz said...

Feel free to screen your calls! That is a basic, universal right in my opinion- we live in a culture of soooo many leashes that can limit productivity!

I was reminded of how blessed I am to live in OK where the laws about homeschooling are so generous - we don't have to report anything...

Good luck and blessings on your little home school!