Monday, September 28, 2009

Answers

Here are some of the answers to the questions asked in an earlier post. These are not in any certain order, but here we go:
Of course, we have three children... Faith Ann (5 years and in kindergarten... homeschooling), Charity Ruth (3 years), and Hope Christiana.
Ron and I have been married for a little over 6 years.
We were both GBS students and became acquainted then.
I was in New Mexico doing mission's work on a Navajo Reservation with the Yates' family. Ron was back here in the Dayton area when we were "dating."
We were married June 14, 2003, a month before I turned 22, and Ron was 27.
We had both felt called to do mission's work years before.
Ron had a lump under his arm in the Fall of 2007, at which time I was expecting our third baby in December.
He had received antibiotics, but they did not help. Had a biopsy... Ron was pretty convinced it was an infection or something, but before we found out the results of that biopsy, Ron developed double vision, and could not even drive to work... went to the eye doc, they sent him for MRI, family doc calls us, tells us to go to this neurologist, bring wife, lots of info... In that one dramatic sweep of a week, it all to a head in that neurologist's office as he said, "You have Hodgkin's, right?" We were like "um... nobody has said anything to us about it." or something like that. And, so, the flood of news swept over us as the doctor confirms that the biopsy of the swelling under his arm was indeed Hodgkin's disease... a form of lymphoma, and not only that but there was a tumor growing under Ron's brain that would have to be very quickly taken care of... that Sunday!!! Ron had been having low grade fevers at night and night sweats... I was sure it was something serious.
Now, generally, Hodgkin's lumps are not painful, but his was very tender and kept growing... got antibiotics, because of an infection. Before his brain surgery, he had to take steroids to slow the tumor's growth, because of the headache Ron started getting. I think it was against an optic nerve and a blood vessel... the surgery would be tricky, but he made it, and I still remember my fear and grief... him looking dead, but talking a mile a minute, and I still remember making those phone calls before all this to somehow break the news that Ron had this deadly disease called cancer... What a week and a half that was. The following Sunday, after Ron's surgery, he was back in church!!! Stitches across half his head and a head covering made him look rough. He had just turned 32.
Ron has had radiation to his head (tumor area that is no longer there), and to his chest. He had had 4 regimens of chemo and is about to have another. He is about to get full body irradiation and chemo and his second stem cell transplant.
It was maybe about this time two years ago that he discovered that lump... but, he did not realize that he was Stage 4B.... the B means he was symptomatic. He was loaded with disease! It was all through lots of lymph nodes in the chest, under his arms, under his brain, and it even showed up on the PETs as starting on several bones! His organs were fine.
He had to have lots of tests, but one that really frightened me was the HIV test. It is a standard test for people with Hodgkin's, but he was negative... what a sigh of relief! One of the grossest tests was the bone marrow biopsy. Remember, I was pregnant, and the sight of Ron's head being wrapped up with a tube with blood hanging out was enough to almost make me faint, but watching them drill Ron's hip while he was wide awake, was quite something! He was tough, and there were so many people who stepped up to the plate and were so kind and helpful. Christmas that year was one I hope I never forget! I have never seen so many presents in my life! I had a new baby on the 13th, Ron had already had radiation to his head, and had started chemo, but he was alive, and churches had made my children's Christmas very special!
Fatigue is normal for Hodgkin's Disease, but Ron perseveres.
The Epstein Barr Virus is sometimes thought to be related to Hodgkin's. So, are other immune deficiency problems, but there is no conclusive cause of the disease.
The shots I have had to give to Ron are Neupogen... they boost the marrow to produce white blood cells, which are often killed off the chemotherapy. The chemo is designed to killed fast growing cells... cancer... but, other cells are also fast growing, like your hair, nails, and white blood cells. I learned to give these shots initially as a nursing school student. I didn't get a nursing degree, but I did do clinicals on a med/surg floor and then, on an oncology floor. This was before I even went to New Mexico... I believe this was God's preparing me for caring for my husband.
Now, Hodgkin's, if treated in Stage 1 or 2, is said to be 93 percent curable. One of the standard treatments is ABVD, and is pretty successful, from what I understand... but, Ron's cancer was more extensive, and although it was initially reacting well to the chemo, it started to grow again... even with the ABVD.
Ron is about to go for a major treatment that is very frightening... he is to get his line put in again on Wed and do the planning, etc., of the radiation. Thursday starts the big chemo, then after a few days of that, he is to get the radiation, I believe, then after that is the transplant of umbilical cord/placenta cells. After this comes the sickness, and the drop of cells as his own immune system is wiped out of his body and the new cells take over. And, caution is up as we watch for any viruses, bacteria, fungi and protect him from them, and watch for the dreaded Graft-Versus-Host Disease.
I know that this probably does not answer all those questions, but maybe I can answer them in a future post.
When Ron is admitted in The James, I will try to post his address and room number so those who wish to send cards may. Remember that if you have any signs of illness or soiled clothing, please have those resolved before visiting him. You must wash your hands before and after leaving his room, and you could be asked to wear a mask and gown if Ron is ill. No children under 12 may come into the unit. Visitors are welcome, but I will caution that he may not feel like talking after the first week is over, but he would feel encouraged if his friends stopped by. If you want to bring youth or children, a cool idea is to find out where his room is and stand under his room, and wave up to him. Last time, there was an awesome veiw from his room and it would have been neat for a group of people to show up and wave up to his room to cheer him on. Just an idea! My children may visit in the family waiting area, and he can come out with his mask and hat and IV pole to visit them if he is well enough. Faith is already asking me if she may visit Daddy in the hospital, and he is not even there yet.
We are still praying for God's will in the care of our children. We want Godly, kind influences in their lives right now, and I have someone like that to watch them Wednesday, and I have some offers from people... I also am trying to be cautious not to overwhelm anyone, either... it does take alot of energy and patience to care from 3 little ones, and they need a gentle touch right now... their lives are about to be disturbed again.
SO, there you go... a quick review of the answers to a previous posts, and what our walk through this cancer has been like.
Thank you for your prayers.
Sarah

3 comments:

A Moment in the Life of a Mother said...

We are praying for Ron and you. I know that this is a tough time right now for your little family, but we are praying. Hold on to Jesus. Be sure to send the address and room number. God bless.

Missy said...

Sarah...I know this is a terrible time for you and Ron right now and I am so sorry for that! I wish there was some way that I could help you. I will promise to pray for you, Ron and your precious little girls. I requested prayer for Ron on Sunday at church. (Beach City Bible Methodist Church - Rob Cravens) I will continue to pray for you during these rough moments.

Missy said...

Just wanted to remind you that I prayed for you today and will continue to do so. Hope that all went good for Ron today. Jesus is right there beside you, Sarah. Even when you can't really feel Him. HE IS ALWAYS THERE!!! Lv...