Monday, September 14, 2009

A lost art

There is a seemingly lost art that I got to experience last night. My hubby preached at Kenwood Bible Methodist Church and did a very fine job, and WE WERE INVITED to go to the Durr's house for dinner and fellowship afterward. They didn't just send us home with a sack lunch or whatever, they had us over and even though they are older they love kids!!! I mean, they were prepared! They have a play area for children!!! Seriously! They were sweet to my children, they weren't panicked about their house getting "messed up." I have found that when people have small children, invitations sometimes almost completely cease (except with family). I felt like someone wrapped their arms around me and just hugged me! It was absolutely wonderful. The food was great! The fellowship was enough to almost make me want to cry. I felt so good as I left. It didn't seem like just a duty... they said they enjoy company... we weren't even the only ones there. Larry Smith and his wife were there as well, and they didn't seem annoyed at my children either! No degrading comments, but rather compliments. How fun! Made me think that I need to try to have people over more often. It might make someone's day! I have lots of toys and books here for small children, and we live in a nice neighborhood with park nearby. I am prepared that way. There are probably lots of people out there that never get invited to someone's house... you know, have a relaxed dinner, the ladies clean-up, then everyone sits down and just visits... I don't mean gossip... just talk about their own lives, about the Bible, about ministry, about child-raising, grandparenting, recipes, quilting, whatever... when you are asked into someone's home, it is like they are allowing you into their world, and that is how I felt last night... it was like someone hugged me and said "I love you just the way you are, and that's that." It seems like a lost art, but I think I would like to learn it.

No comments: