Thursday, September 24, 2009

Breaking news: the big day is...

WEDNESDAY. Yes, that is right! The insurance has now approved Ron's stem-cell transplant and the call came in today... they want him there this coming Wednesday!!! I don't know whether to be happy or to throw myself on my bed in tears! I am scared, excited, nervous, upset, relieved, uptight... well, it is a weird combination of emotions, and I am trying to stay busy... I need to think about something else... I mean, the brain surgery was a huge and dangerous ordeal, as was the autologous transplant, but this!?! I know others have made it through it and have been put into remission... check out this week's Focus on the Family to hear a story about a family who went through bone marrow transplants as well... but, I am still scared.
Ron is one of those guys some women dream of marrying, but they end up marrying a guy who is lazy and yells at their children. Ron and I argue sometimes... yes, but we have deep love for one another. You ought to see the way he trains our children! He does not spank them while he is upset... nope, he just goes and cools off, then talks with the child who was disobedient or mean, then he very carefully spanks them, then, he prays with them, hugs them... that is his usual manner. They know he loves them, and they also know he doesn't forget when he says they are in trouble... he just waits a while and makes sure he does it right. He is firm, but gentle... he is the dream of many children's hearts for a father. He tells them Bible stories about every night before they go to bed. They love to play with daddy. They love to sing and make music with daddy. Daddy provides very well for them. Daddy fishes with them, swims with them, eats with them, talks with them, makes up games with them, and they know Mommy calls him her "hero"... just ask Charity! They are really going to miss him... so is Mommy.
There are so many little and big things I have never really thanked him for... I mean, he goes out of his way to make my life easier... he loves me. Some husbands yell, scream, hit, and are never around... that is not Ron... I mean, yes, he works hard and does ministry, but by no means does he neglect his family. He is not the yelling type, and he definitely does not hit... and, screaming is something he does not like at all. He HATES verbal abuse! If he feels he has been too strong verbally with me, then he will apologize... he definitely does not abuse the children... no way! And, woe be to the person who would try to verbally attack his children or wife... HE DOES NOT PUT UP WITH SUCH TRASH! He is a protector. We are very safe when he is near... he will not allow others to abuse his family in any way. I love that about him. He really is my hero!
I can hardly wait until this ordeal is over and we can get on with our lives... he could get cured... wouldn't that be awesome! The chance may only be 25-33%, depending on which doc you are talking to, but it is a chance!
I thought that maybe I could give you all a quiz to see if you could remember or guess what this walk through Ron's cancer has been like. Let's see how many you can it figure out. Ready? Set? GO!
1. What were the first three signs or symptoms we noticed that lead Ron to get checked out?
2. How long ago did those appear?
3. A major symptom popped up before we got the test results back... what was it?
4. What had to take place the Sunday after we found out the results?
5. What major thing was going on with me at the same time?
6. How old did Ron just turn when he got the diagnosis?
7. What type of cancer/disease does Ron have?
8. What stage was it when it was found?
9. Where was the cancer located?
10. Where has he had radiation?
11. How many regimens of chemotherapy has he gone through?
12. How many surgeries has he had?
13. How many well- meaning people have called, written, sent literature, or talked to us about many alternative methods of cure? These are herbs, magnetic therapies, Indian remedies, anything that is not standard insurance-covered therapies. You may count me, too, since I also tried to convince Ron of something. Not that I am a doc or anything, I just care, too.
14. What is the abbreviations for the standard treatment of Ron's disease that generally puts many folks with his disease into remission?
15. What type of cells are associated with his disease?
16. If a patient is stage one or two, what is the cure rate?
17. What is the mortality rate doing this treatment he is about to go through?
18. I have given many shots to Ron... what kind is it? And, what does it do?
19. His disease is characterized somewhat because it is known for lowering one's body of immunity. This is increased by the chemotherapy killing off WBC... why does chemotherapy kill white blood cells when it is supposed to kill cancer cells?
20. There are many tests that someone must go through when they are diagnosed with this disease. What test majorly frightened me at the beginning of Ron's disease? What other test grossed me out?
21. What are the typical signs and symptoms of this disease Ron has? You should learn this... it has a way of creeping through a person who is unaware... or, too busy to just realize their body is infested with disease.
22. What disease is possible for Ron to have years from now because of his treatments?
23. How long have we been married?
24. How many children do we have?
25. What are their names and ages?
26. Ron and I were both called into a particular thing years before we were married... what was our united calling?
27. Where did we meet?
28. Where did Ron live when we were "dating"? Where was I?
29. Where did I first learn how to give the shot I have given Ron? Where did I get hands-on training in the area of oncology and med-surg? Hint: It was not a coincidence!
30. Are Ron and I still dreaming of fulfilling our calling?

Guess that is enough for now... you can find many of the answers to these questions by looking back through old posts... take a walk with us as we look back at what God has helped us through. Some people ask how we can do it. Honestly, sometimes I think God has numbed us... other times He held us as we cried. And, He was even there when I was angry. Some folks say they don't get angry, but well, sometimes I hurt so bad, I feel kind-of mad. Sometimes I just don't understand it all, but when the fog clears up I see God's hand-prints of grace and preparation in our lives. It is not about whether Ron gets healed... it is about whether God can keep us through it all. Will we run away from Him? Will we hate Him for allowing such apparent tragedy? Will we trust Him in the valley of the shadow of death? I have ran some, been confused, angry, and have had to ask Him to forgive me. He just takes me back and holds me and like a gentle father, He holds me close and lets me cry on His shoulder and rocks me until I calm down. I have no better one to turn to... but, my Creator and Saviour. And, I know of no other better example of God's grace and strength in our day than my husband. I know it is dangerous to put a person on a pedestal, but if you know Ron, I know you would have to agree. Keep on praying, dear friends, for him... this is tough stuff.
Until next time...
Clinging to the Rock

PS: I'll try to give you the above answers soon... in the meantime, see if you can figure them out yourself.

4 comments:

Erika said...

I will be thinking and praying for you and your family.

Missy said...

Sarah, I will be praying for you and your family. God can give you the strength and the grace during this next mountain in your life. You are an amazing woman!!!

Missy said...

ps...i don't know all of the answers to your questions. Wow...that is a lot of questions! I know some of them towards the end, but I don't remember the first ones. I will be looking forward to the answers. 8-)

Rebecca said...

Praying for you all!! Luv ya, girl!